Continuing Professional Development
The General Chiropractic Council (Continuing Professional Development) Rules 2004 govern the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) scheme and state the mandatory requirements registrants must complete.
CPD basic facts
- The CPD year runs from 1 September to 31 August
- By 30 November each year registrants must send us a completed CPD summary sheet, listing learning activities completed, if they wish to remain on the Register for the following year
- Registrants can either fill in their CPD summary online or fill in a paper CPD summary and post it to us
- All registrants, whether practising or non practising, must complete CPD
- Registrants must complete 30 hours of CPD each CPD year – 15 hours of this must include learning with others
- CPD must aim to either:
- Improve the care chiropractors give their patients
- Develop the chiropractic profession.
Please read the CPD guidance booklet for further information.
CPD consultation and review
The CPD scheme is currently under review and will take the form of:
A consultation in the form of a questionnaire for all registrants
An opportunity for our stakeholders to provide their input
A review of research undertaken on CPD by other healthcare regulators. After which a decision will be made as to the next steps for the review.
There are likely to be other opportunities for stakeholders to participate, for example, in the form of consultation workshops.
The review will be informed by the system of revalidation the GCC is currently developing. Any changes to the CPD scheme are not expected to be implemented before the end of 2013.
If you have any questions about CPD please contact the GCC at email@example.com
Links to CPD documents
GCC (Continuing Professional Development) Rules 2004
GCC CPD Mandatory Requirements