Skip to main content

Please note: it may be considered as unacceptable professional conduct if you practise as a chiropractor in the UK while being registered as non-practising. We therefore strongly recommend not booking any patients until such time as you have received confirmation from us that your name has been transferred to practising registration.

If you have been annotated on the register as non-practising for more than two years, you are expected to complete the Return to Practice in the UK programme before applying for a transfer to practising registration. If you are applying for the following year, please ensure you leave enough time to complete the programme before the start of the registation year.

What must I do to transfer?

If you are transferring as part of the retention process for 2022 you should complete the retention application online as normal and select the full (practising) fee.

Please only submit typed applications and self-assessment forms. Handwritten forms will be rejected. Please note we are unable to accept documents saved as Apple pages documents (.pages).

Non-practising chiropractors wishing to apply for transfer to practising registration should email us:

  • a completed transfer application form

  • if you have been registered as non-practising for two or more years you will need to successfuly complete the Return to Practice in the UK programme before applying for a transfer to practising registration.

  • evidence of your professional indemnity insurance for practising in the UK.  Please be aware that you will not be registered as practising until your indemnity start date.

  • a copy of your passport as evidence of your identity, which must be certified by someone of professional standing and state 'I confirm this to be a true and accurate copy of the original passport as seen by me'.

We define professional standing as either someone belonging to a regulated profession, where the integrity of the referee can be verified as far as is possible, or someone in good standing within the community. This includes other health professionals, as well as those who have a standing by virtue of the office they hold, for example a religious official.

The following are some examples of who we accept references from, but it is not a definitive list: registered chiropractor, other registered healthcare professional, company director where the company it registered with companies house, teacher or lecturer, accountant, bank manager, solicitor.

  • the transfer fee of £800.

Is there anything else I need to send?

Sometimes registrants may also need to send us:

  • a certificate of good standing if you have practised outside the UK in a jurisdiction that regulates chiropractors, e.g., Australia, Canada, US

A Certificate of Good Standing is a document issued by a body that has a regulatory role, like the General Chiropractic Council, AHPRA or US chiropractic boards. It should include details of your registration or licensure, as well as confirmation of your disciplinary history.  You will need to provide one if you work in a regulated profession, whether chiropractic or not, in the UK or overseas or have done so in the past. There is no time limit on when you worked in a regulated profession, so you should consider it to mean for the whole of your working life to date.

It’s very rare that someone isn’t able to provide a Certificate of Good Standing or Current Professional Status. If this is the case then you will need to provide documentary evidence to show that you have attempted to obtain one, and we would normally expect to see an official response to confirm that it isn’t possible to obtain a certificate. While we understand that in certain circumstances it can take some time to acquire certificates, we will not accept this as a reason for not progressing to registration without it.

  • a police record check if you have received a criminal conviction or caution in any country since you applied to retain on the register
  • medical report if you have had a health issue during the time you have been non-practising
  • certified copies of any documentation of change of name if you wish to practise under a name that is different to your current registered name.

How long will the transfer take?

Please allow 10 days for us to process your application. If you are sending us a self-assessment questionnaire, please allow a further 7 days for us to reply to you.

How long will my registration last once I have been transferred?

As with all registrations you will need to retain on the register by 30 November every year. This will be the same at whatever point in the year you are transferred.

I have already paid £100 - do I have to pay the full £800?

Yes, transfer application fees are separate to the retention process. You must therefore pay the full £800 before we are able to transfer you.

I will no longer be practising as a chiropractor before the registration year ends. Can I transfer from practising to non-practising registration?

No, it is not possible to transfer from practising to non-practising registration except during the retention process. Alternatively, if you are not intending to practise in the UK, you may relinquish your registration voluntarily, by submitting an application for voluntary removal.

UK applicants

This page is for the applicants who have achieved a qualification recognised for registration following attendance at an approved course.

Find out More

International applicants

Applications must be completed online once the Test of Competence has been successfully completed. Check below against each document to see the requirements.

Find out More

Re-joining the register

If you have been registered with the GCC in the past and you wish to practise as a chiropractor in the UK again, you may be eligible to restore your name to the register.

Find out More